13 May, 2007

Bugs

I've been evicted from my room for the second night in a row due to the Swarming of the Termites. The damn things hatch and then head for the nearest light source. This always seems to happen at night, and any light source will do-- even a gameboy. When I got back to CLC I noticed that the family who live here were leaving a classroom light on at night and I was disapproving of the waste of electricity... now I know that they were only doing it to drive away the bugs from their place. They seem to like computer monitors as well as crawling on sweaty, human skin, so my options are limited... deal with the bugs by sitting in an empty classroom reading or go to sleep at 7:30. This isn't helping me get over jet lag, I will say that much! It really is like some sort of Hitchcock movie.

The rainy season here really brings out all sorts of nasty things that I thought were confined to horror movies. My room is so bad that I have allowed the spiders to live in it provided that they spin thier webs above my head. There is one spider on my porch (can't get a good picture of it) with a body as big as the first two knuckles of my pinky and shows off all sorts of delicate shades of green and yellow. Hope he stays put because he just screams poison. I killed another spider that looked like a prop from a grade-school production of "Charlotte's Web"-- easily visible from even the back row.

All of a sudden shivering at night during the cold season doesn't seem all that bad.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that termites are supposed to be high in protein? Small consolation, I know, but it's something to think about.

    Perhaps we need to get you a mosquito net...

    ReplyDelete