25 April, 2006

Happy ANZAC day!


me: Happy ANZAC day!!
 Dylan:
Same to you?
me: I just came in and all classes were cancelled.
I was just sitting at my desk checking my email, wondering "where the fuck is everyone?"
Got my coffee, went to class... all the doors were locked.
No one tells me anything around here.
Dylan: What's anzac?
me: Was just reading that myself actually...

From http://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/anzac_tradition.htm:
ANZAC Day - 25 April - is probably Australia's most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. The soldiers in those forces quickly became known as ANZACs, and the pride they soon took in that name endures to this day.

Of course, this doesn't explain why this holiday is celebrated in Samoa, which really shares nothing with
Australia except an ocean and proximity.  Plus an Embassy.  And a lot of Aussie restaurants. 

(I would ask someone Samoan, but no one is at work today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment