07 August, 2006

مشجولة!!

One of my students gave me head scarf, and here's a picture of me wearing the thing. The odd thing was that after I put it everyone oohed and aaahhed and told me how beautiful I looked. I thought that was really odd-- shouldn't it be the other way around? Wouldn't they be tired of seeing women with their heads covered? Is my hair really that messy and gray?

Anyway, the student that gave it to me had my name embroidered in it, but also strangely had his own which sent a very odd message to me. Not that I think that any Yemenese man within their right mind would want to have anything to do with me as I would bring a ton of shame into their family (being loudspoken and completely unable to cook.) He was pretty mortified that I had put it on right away, but what did he expect! Anyway, the next day people were pretty surprised that I wasn’t wearing it. I am not sure what they had expected either. The thing was pretty uncomfortable and kept slipping off. Most women here tell me that if I don’t have to cover I shouldn’t bother.

“مشجولة” means busy (mash-ghoul-a), and that’s what I am these days. I picked up an extra class at MALI during the 6:30-8:30 shift, so basically I am going for fourteen hours a day. This is only for five weeks, however, and then MALI is really going to owe me one. I am pretty glad to be working at MALI, it gets me a foot in the door at that community. Also, because the students are so diverse you get more a taste for Sana’a life. The students at YLNG are friendly and bright, but they are also terribly busy and don’t really have time for socializing. Plus, they are all men and it is very challenging to have male friends here in Yemen if you are a woman. After my first day at MALI I met a very charismatic woman from Gaza who promised to invite me over.

So, things go on as normal. Everything is wonderful, and I am having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment