14 August, 2006

Students Say the Darndest Things

I just had a student approach me urgently and say “Teacher, I need to know a word. I need to know the word for a man who can not give birth.”

Assuming he meant impotent, I gave him the proper word and he skipped away happily.

Earlier, in class, I had the students practice memo writing and one of my students was obviously very proud that he knew the meaning and usage of the verb “to erect”. His memo stated that he needed to erect a volleyball court and needed people to help with the erection. I read the rest of the memo, trying to hide my childish urge to giggle every time the word “popped” up, but lost it near the end of the memo when he called for people to “help me with my erection”. I decided that it wasn’t worth it to explain to him why he shouldn’t use the word that way and just crossed it out on the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment