11 December, 2006

Sawatdee Khrab!!

Get Thai'ed!
You're talkin' to a tourist
Whose every move's among the purest.

It's official, I am leaving Yemen on January 4th to a new adventure. This time I will going to Thailand to work with refugees on the Thai-Burmese border. I am terrified, especially since this is unpaid volunteer work and I really don't know what I am getting myself into. At the same time I am really looking forward to not making money for a change, and concentrating on people who really need my help, rather then people who are taking English to get a better job.

I am going to be based out of Mae Sot, which is about as far as you can get from Bangkok and still be in the same country. I am going to be teaching English although there are going to be chances for my to branch out into development related fields. Their website is here: http://www.geocities.com/maesotbvp/. As you can see, I won't be working with them directly but will actually be farmed out to an NGO or perhaps a refugee camp that needs an English teacher. Other then that, I really don't know very much which explains my fear!

A lot of people are curious to why I am leaving Yemen so soon. Well, one of the main reasons is that I am having a hard time with the conservative life here. I plan to come back to this area, but I think that I am more likely to go back to Palestine or perhaps to Jordon. But for now, I feel like I am ready for a new adventure. If you've been following my blog, you'll see that staying in this situation isn't really an option right now anyway.

More to come on this, you betcha...

No comments:

Post a Comment