02 January, 2007

Goodbye, Yemen!

(The title is a play on "Goodbye, Lenin!" although that is sort of hard to catch, I realize.)

This is my last post that I will entering from Sanaa, Yemen. If it's not, then I am going to be really, really, really pissed at Gulf Air. The last few days have been a whirlwind of packing, lunches and quality time with my soon-to-be ex-roomate Sonia (who, contrary to how I like to paint her in my blog posts, is a very kind, gentle, caring, sweet, and cute person and is NOT a little bitch princess) as well as my cat, Shouf, who has already ditched me for a life of chasing moths in the garden.

Sonia actually talked me into getting my eyebrows done, which is a feat that others who might consider themselves greater then her have never been able to accomplish. Tonight we are going to have a send-off shesha party tonight at my favorite place, the Hawaii club, and I have one more goodbye lunch to get through. My baggage tips the scales at 30Kgs (only 10kgs overweight). I am good to go and I am both excited and terrified. Considering that I don't have a job, this is the scariest step that I have taken since I walked into my boss's office at Microsoft and told him that I was going to some place called Samoa.

I am going to miss this place, sort of. I have learned a lot here and most of all I am grateful to MALI for pulling me out of Samoa and giving me this chance to move on. By the way, if you are going to be working at the Modern American Language Institute in Sanaa, Yemen (MALI) then please shoot me an email and I will tell you all about this place.

Wish me luck and I will post as soon as I can get to a computer in Thailand...

(And yes, Sonia, I love my eyebrows.)

No comments:

Post a Comment