06 May, 2006

Password? WTF?

Yes, I have password protected this site.

The reason for this is that I am not allowed to say certain things on a "public" site and by password-protecting it I can talk more freely. Yes the protection that I use is cheesy but I just need to thwart the morons. I have chosen a password that most people who know me should know. If you don't, then you're not reading this so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, now that it's password protected I can say stuff like this:

So I went to call Yemen the other day and was not able to get through. I called the SamoaTel people to ask how to call Yemen. The conversation went like so:

Me: Hello, I was trying to place a call to Yemen last night and couldn't get through.
SamoaTel: What's the country?
Me: Yemen
SamoaTel: Yes, what country is that in?
Me: Yemen. It IS a country.
SamoaTel: No it isn't.
Me: Um, yes it is. The country code is 967.
SamoaTel: 967... OK, wait. After a few minutes. Hey, Yemen IS a real country.
Me: That's right.
SamoaTel: Well, I've never heard of it. Please hold. Put on hold. Hung up on me by mistake. Not very hopeful for the SamoaTel help line. So I call back.
Me: Yes I just called. I am trying to call Yemen, country code 967.
SamoaTel: Oh yeah. Please hold. After a few minutes, comes back. I need to talk to the "boys". Can I call you back in 10 minutes?
Me: Sure.
An hour later...
Me: Hello, I called a while ago, I am trying to call Yemen, country code 967.
SamoaTel: Oh, hello again. I talked to the boys. You can't.
Me: Can't?
SamoaTel: No.
Me: But...
SamoaTel: We're trying to fix it.
Me: So, um, when will I be able to call Yemen?
SamoaTel: I don't know. Maybe sometime soon. Try back next Friday.

Let's hope that a Yemen/Samoa crisis doesn't arrise anytime soon that involves our embassy contacting the embassy there. Anyway, fortunately the guy that I needed to talk to in Yemen was willing to call me and we had a very interesting conversation.

(WHY did I need to call Yemen, you ask? Stay tuned…)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:40 AM

    Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:50 AM

    Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
    »

    ReplyDelete