03 July, 2006

As the Term Finishes...

Not much new to report, I have been working really hard at YLNG getting the current batch of trainees out the door.  I get two weeks off, then I am going to be teaching "Technical English", which hopefully isn't' a fancy way of getting me back into teaching computers.  I've gotten really close to my trainees, even the ones that give me a hard time and I think that they have really warmed up to me.  The fact that I never pass up an opportunity to take a shot at Bush (no FBI, I am not speaking literally) helps to indure me to them, I think.

They are pretty liberal too, which surprised me.  One assignment I gave them was to write responses to "Dear Abby" letters.  For instance, one of the letters was a woman saying that she didn't want to have children.  Rather then telling the women to lie down and do her duty my student suggested that she "convince [her husband] about your desire.  Why don't you tell him about kid's problems"  My favorite answer, however, was written as a joke.  The letter was from a mother whose 12 year old daughter had a boyfriend.  Mahmoud wrote:

Dear my daughter, I love you so much.  But I don't want you to go with any boyfriend until you marry.  You should wait until you get your favorite husband.  This is our religion, and this is our custom.  Any one who lets his daughter or his sister to commit adultery the God will enter him in his fire for ever and he will never get out from that fire, My daughter if you want your father to enter in this fire you go to this boyfriend.  But I am responsible for you so we will leave this country that is full of adultery and we will live in our country that has a conservative society.  We will leave from now soon.

To his credit, he laughed as I read it.  I think that he was trying to shock me.

According to another one of my students, In 20 years "people will be eaten by spoons and forks".   My other favorite from one of my more cheeky students is that "Yemen will be making loans to the USA."  Could happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment