09 September, 2007

Why I Hate Chiang Mai

Well, I decided to "treat" myself by spending a few days in Chiang Mai before I left. Big mistake. I had forgetten how much I hate this town. In fact I think that the last 24 hours can be summerized as following: WAAHHH!! I WANNA GO HOME!!!

Rudeness persists. When I got to the guesthouse that I was supposed to stay at the woman did everything in her power to not let me stay. She saw my many bags and told me that she didn't have a room on the first floor. I told her that was fine, any floor was fine. She said that had a room on the 3rd floor. I sighed but then said that the third floor was fine. Wait, there wasn't a room on the third floor. Whatever, I said, just give me any room. She informed me that there was no bathroom in the room. Okay, I said. She told me that I would have to go across the hall to the shared bathroom if I wanted to take a shower. Great, I said, and I pulled out my wallet but she sighed loudly insisted that I look at the room first. I got the feeling that she was hoping I would change my mind. I was sweaty and tired but I didn't feel like arguing so I went upstairs, unlocked the door, looked inside, and came down with money in hand. When it was obvious that she wasn't going to get rid of my she reluctantly gave me a key and took my money, including a 100 baht deposit. She told that I could go to the room and take a shower. Yes, I got the hint. She also said that I could carry one bag, then come down and carry another. I smiled and thanked her as graciously as I could for the advice, which I then proceeded to follow. She watched me like a hawk, I guess to make sure that I indeed carried everything one at a time.

The good news is that I went to the dentist and was told that I have no cavities. I was happy and proud until she pointed out that due to the number of fillings that I have there are no more places for cavities to hide. I celebreated with a mocha smoothy (extra sugar) anyway.

Then I went to NES (The New Zealand English School) in Chiang Mai to try to claim the 5000 baht that was owed me. (I wasn't able to pick it in March since I had to leave so quickly.) Things went pretty fast downhill from there and I remembered why it will be a cold day in hell before I ever teach English again for cash. The director, Paul Chan, came out of his office and yelled at me, then told me that I should ask another teacher who spoke English, despite the fact that his English was fine. The receptionist told me that I should visit the office that I worked at. So, I went there and pretty much learned that they keep no available records and the time card was lost. I didn't really beleive this and pressed them a bit, and the director came in and came in to speak to me. He asked me what I wanted him to do. I asked him if there was a record that I worked there. At this point he started yelling and cursing at me saying that "he didn't give a fuck" and finally told me that he was going to get me "tied up and kicked out of Thailand". I asked him where this was coming from and two police came in that he'd apparently called before he came to talk to me. At this point I relized that I wasn't getting paid.

I sat in the office with the police wondering if it was possible for me to enter a country and not get arrested for something. The manager Paul Chan was screaming at them in Thai and it occured to me that for all I knew he could be saying that killed someone or stole something. I broke in, asking for a policeman who could speak English. A call to the tourist police got this. I was told what I already knew... I was free to go, I was not going to be tied up, and I wasn't getting paid since it was basically my word agaist to the director, who told me to "kiss my ass". I have never seen someone go so far to avoid paying someone.

I was pissed, but there's nothing I can do. I mean, it's only about $150, but damn it-- it was MY $150 that I worked damn hard for sitting in a hot classroom for 20 hours with a group of students that frankly were the worst I ever came across in my brief (and OVER, thank god) teaching career.

I wanna go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment