27 March, 2011

Three Things....

OK, the first thing is an earthquake update.  I was listening to this guy on the radio who was talking about earthquakes and tsunamis on the west coast.  His interviewer asked him about tsunami warning systems, and how people would know if there is a wave coming after an earthquake.

His answer: if the ground shakes, that IS your warning.  If an earthquake stikes the west coast, a tsunami WILL follow.  South coast has about 10 minutes until the wave hits, north coast has a little more time, about 20 minutes.  He suggested that you get about 80 feet up, more if possible.  If you don't know what 80 feet looks like, then right after a earthquake is not the time to find out.

The second is an update on my trip to Haiti.  This lady that I am going with is insanely organized.  She is bringing food.  She brings supplies.  Scrubs are already there.  There are books and a computer there.  She even has toothbrushes.  "What should I bring?" I asked her.  "Nothing, really", she admitted.  Of course, she is claiming my entire checked bag quota (and part of my carry-on bag) for medical supplies going there, and I will have to stuff my nothing into whatever is left.  I have my ticket and so this is looking like a go.

The third thing is that I MAY be playing flute at the Waypost on 4/6 at 7:30pm.  I will probably be playing as a part of Classical Revolution PDX.  I am hoping that I will be playing  Bach's Andante from Brandenburg Concerto No. 4 in G major with three other flutes, which will sound near but not quite like this:


(Yes, there is a lot of uncertainty in this announcement.  But if you get there and I don't play, then you are probably better off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment